Looking Good (for a mom)

has been moved to new address

www.lookinggoodmom.com

You will be automatically routed to the new site...please update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend Round-up: Food, Inc., Bodyweight circuit, and more

Being a part of the Twitter community has exposed me to dozens of other health and fitness bloggers. Many of them are simply amazing people. I've added many of their blogs to my blogroll, but I thought I'd occasionally give you links to relevant and interesting articles I've enjoyed reading from their blogs.

So first up this weekend is a review of Food Inc., from Get Fit with Kelley. In the review, Kelley Moore explains both the context of the movie as well as her reaction and thoughts upon seeing it. It's certainly on my list of movies to see, and I encourage you to read Kelley's review and strongly consider seeing the movie yourself.

Next is an article that caught my eye on twitter from Whole Health Source, a blog written by Stephan Guyenet, a doctoral candidate studying neurobiology. In a highly technical article entitled, The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: Stuck at the Starting Gate, Stephan discusses his review of studies attempting to link saturated fat and high cholesterol as well as diets of societies who eat whole food diets high in saturated fat. In the end, Stephan concludes that diets high in saturated fat have very little (if any) affect on total cholesterol or LDL (bad cholesterol). This blog is not for the faint of heart. Stephan's writing is full of scientific jargon and may not always be clear to those who aren't analytical geeks.

On the fitness end of things, here's a great little bodyweight workout challenge from Craig Ballantyne of Turbulence Training. This mini-challenge workout is great for times when you can't make it to the gym, but still want to get in a quick and efficient workout at home. There's a beginner and advanced version, for all skill levels.

This week, we all got a kick in the rear from DC's Toughest Trainer, Kimberly Linton. Recalling a work-life balance discussion with one of her clients, Kimberly reminds us Don't Be Lazy! Sure, we can all come up with excuses not to exercise during the week, but when it comes down to it, that's all they are...excuses. So read the article and let Kimberly keep you on track this week!

And finally, this week, Brad Pilon of Eat Stop Eat reflects on some of the eating pitfalls we women deal with when we live with much larger men. Although Brad's story is fictional, I know I've found myself in the exact same situation with my husband, who is nine inches taller (and 60 pounds heavier) than me.

So that's it for this week. I'll be keeping an eye on my favorite blogs and hope to share more great posts with everyone next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    Like your style. I'll have to have a longer look around your blog. Your bit on Craig's bodyweight stuff is what caught my attention. Craig is a friend and I've reviewed his bodyweight material. It's really good quality.

    I also use primarily bodyweight training with my clients and I've found that the approach I use is very complimentary to Craig's in that it gives you a subsequent level of motor sophistication. This allows you to work off the solid technical base you'll get from Craig's instruction.

    If you want to check out some videos of CST bodyweight exercise you can head over to.
    http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/category/bodyweightTV

    Cheers,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete